What happened to the Hanseatic Buildings in Lynn after the 1474 Peace Settlement?
After permission was granted to build on the site (see Hanseatic League and King’s Lynn (1 of 3)), two hanseatic warehouses were built around 1480, together with a street range facing the market place where the Georgian House now stands.
The West Link Range (facing the South Quay) was probably constructed later, around 1500. The construction of this wing enclosed the courtyard.
Between the 1560’s and 1751 the Hanseatic League leased the building to various King’s Lynn merchants. During this time there would have been significant alterations to the building.
A wealthy Lynn merchant, Edward Everard, bought the building for £800 in 1751. He constructed the present day Georgian House where the original street range was.
The 1800’s and 1900’s saw construction and alteration of the two extensions to the warehouses on the South Quay side, leading to the loss of the medieval gable ends and quite probably a water gate or other means of entrance for goods from the river, which was much closer to the building at that time.
Different parts of the building have variously served as a maltings, a granary, a school, and the residence of Victorian gentlemen. Norfolk County Council bought the building and converted the site to office space in the early 1970’s, resulting in the installation of modern stud partitioning and C20th windows to many areas.
© James Rye 2021
Websites accessed July 2021